Welcome KSSWA Members and Friends!
Thank you for visiting our website. We are a professional organization dedicated to promoting school social workers through advocacy, professional development and communication within the profession. Get resources, network with school social workers from across the state and learn how you can become involved and advocate for our valuable profession.
Brenna Forbes, LMSW
1. Earned MSW (College & Year):
I graduated with my MSW in 2022 from the University of Kansas.
2. Most Memorable Moment as SSW : This is only my second year as a school social worker, but so far, my most memorable moment has been making sensory bottles with my elementary students! They had a blast, and it was enjoyable to see just how creative they could be!
3.Hobbies: I enjoy spending time with my family and friends and taking my dog on walks!
4. Book with the most impact on you: The book with the most impact on me is "Switch: How to Change Things when Change is Hard" by Chip Heath and Dan Heath. I read this book for a class I was in during my time at Pittsburg State University working on my BSW. It was a great read!
5. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
I would love to learn sign language!
6. Favorite - song, movie, place to travel:
7. What do you wish others knew about your job? I wish others knew that even though this job can be tough, it is also incredibly rewarding! Everyone always seems to know about the more difficult pieces, and I wish that they could see the amazing things that we as school social workers get to see daily!
School Social Worker
of the Year
Abby Cole, LMSW
2023 Champion for Children
Jon Bishop, M.Ed.
From the President:
Welcome to #teamKSSWA!
Our association, Kansas School Social Work Association (KSSWA), is growing in membership and becoming more and more of an advocate for the school social work profession. We invite you to join our team! You can become a member (student, regular, associate, or retired) and come alongside the other fabulous school social workers that make up KSSWA.
KSSWA is the state association that supports Kansas school social workers by advocating at the local, state and national levels for their needs. Our Mental Health Awareness Day in Topeka that is a joint effort with school psychologists and school counselors is one example. You have the opportunity to meet with your Senator and Representatives and assist them in understanding YOUR profession and YOUR needs.
Whether you are a seasoned school social worker or just beginning your journey, your voice, ideas and energy is needed. The networking and professional development that is a part of KSSWA is so beneficial. KSSWA offered 18 FREE CEU's this year!!
We are looking for Regional Representatives for our SE and NE regions. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information. Our board is passionate, dedicated and FUN. We are excited about this year and the impact KSSWA is going to have for our profession and the children, youth and families we serve.
I am beyond honored to represent you as the President of KSSWA.
Cheri Koochel, LMSW
Geary County USD 475 (Special Education Certified)
Goddard Public Schools (Special Education Licensed Staff)
Manhattan-Ogden Public Schools (Multiple Positions)
Shawnee Mission School District (Multiple Positions)
South Central Kansas Special Education Cooperative (Student Support Services)
New! Southwest Kansas Area Cooperative District (Special Ed School Social Worker)
KSSWA Mission: KSSWA is a professional organization dedicated to promoting school social workers through advocacy, professional development and communication within the profession.
2023 - 2024 Focus
Continue advocacy efforts through increased social media presence - Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, KSSWA website.
Strengthen relationships with KSDE, SSWAA, Midwest Council and KSSWA University Liaisons.
Continue to provide relevant professional development through book studies and our Fall and Spring conferences.
Develop emerging leaders through increased participation on KSSWA and SSWWA committees.
Develop communication with members on a regional basis through the Regional Representatives. Provide opportunities to network by email, regional social events.
Continue to increase total membership by at least 20%. January 1, 2023 total membership was 258. January 1, 2022 membership was 221.
Retention of members by monthly member spotlights, engaging members in virtual contests.